Fred Light Museum History
The building in which the museum resides was constructed in 1914 and was originally the St. Vital School. It remained a school until 1974 and after it was given to the Town. In 1980, it became the Fred Light Museum and in 1985 the building was designated as a Municipal Heritage Property. The Museum houses artifacts from the 18th to early 20th century.
The Fred Light Museum is named after the founder of the museum. He was a member of a pioneer Mounted Police family. Frederick George Light was born April 20, 1908, the youngest son of the Staff Sergeant Police Frederick Walter Light, NWMP. He had devoted many years to the collection of artifacts. Fred Light was very involved in the preservation and restoration of Western Historic artifacts pertaining to Battleford and the early Northwest. This collection, combined with artifacts donated by interested individuals, offers a glimpse of old Battleford. Fred Light dedicated his life to "preserving all things from the past".
The Fred Light Museum doubles as both museum and Tourist Information. With a variety of maps, brochures for landmarks Canada-wide and on-hand information, we are here to help! Drop in today and we can help improve any journey.
Contact Us Today for More Information!
P.O. Box 40
11. 20th Street
Canada, S0M 0E0
Email: [email protected]
Bernadette Leslie - Museum Manager
Hours of Operation
May long weekend August 31
9:00 am to 8:00 pm daily
*Hours Subject to change*
Winter - By appointment only. To make an appointment, please contact:
Town of Battleford - 1-306-937-6200